Challenge Detroit is founded on the principles of attracting and retaining diverse, top talent. That means our Fellows are from Detroit and the metro area, the greater region, other parts of the country, and even other parts of the world. They join us with backgrounds in graphic design, communications, social work, journalism, urban planning, business, and more. No matter where they are from or what their field of study, they are here to make an impact. And they are doing just that. Year-over-year, our Fellows are serving communities and changing lives through the work they do at their host companies, the challenge projects we tackle supporting non-profits in the city, and the time they commit above and beyond the program. Fellows consistently affirm that Detroit is a city where talent can find an interesting job, make a meaningful contribution, and live an exciting life. We share our Fellows’ experiences over the year through social media, regular blogging, events and other media to provide people in the region, around the country and across the world a positive and balanced view of Detroit.
We challenge leaders to learn by doing through a year of meaningful employment and intellectual work with area nonprofits designed to positively impact our diverse, culturally vibrant city.
What We Do
- Attract and retain innovative, college-educated professionals to the greater Detroit area by promoting and supporting the opportunities within the city and the neighborhoods
- Portray Detroit and the surrounding region as a place people can live, work, play, give and lead
- Contribute to community development efforts of the city and region through incremental impact and learning by doing
How We Do It
- Launch a local and national recruitment effort to raise awareness of Challenge Detroit and the issues and opportunities in the city
- Act as a platform to share balanced and positive messages about Detroit, showcasing the Fellows, companies, and non-profit partners that bring the program to life
- Create jobs and stimulate the economy by partnering with top companies to serve as hosts to Challenge Detroit’s Fellows
- Further work with these companies to build partnerships that ultimately support the professional development of the local workforce while contributing positively to community impact efforts
- Spearhead a robust leadership program, centered around innovation and design thinking to support ongoing skill development that helps Fellows in their jobs and their work with Challenge Detroit’s non-profit partners
- Design five-week team challenge projects to leverage the power, resources and intellectual capital of Fellows to positively impact operations, fundraising, programming, marketing and other critical aspects of our non-profit partners’ organizations