The application for STANDARD applicants is now closed. If you currently have a job and have the support of your current company to be a Challenge Detroit Fellow, please click here to apply as an INTERNAL applicant.
Challenge Detroit cultivates diverse, innovative, community-minded leaders from the City of Detroit and across the country, fostering their talents to support local initiatives that move Detroit forward. Each year, we recruit 30 individuals to join us in making an impact in Detroit through meaningful work and intellectual giving.
Who you are:
- You are passionate, hard-working, innovative and have a growth mindset
- You will have a minimum of a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution by August 2020
- You are authorized to work in the United States for the duration of the program (September 2020 to August 31, 2021)
*Challenge Detroit does not assist with employment authorization, visa sponsorship, relocation or provide a housing stipend.
What you’ll experience:
- The opportunity to live, work, play, give, and lead in Detroit
- Valuable career development through employment at a top area host company Monday-Thursday
- A multi-faceted leadership development program every Friday
- How to leverage the art of design thinking
- Collaboration with multiple Detroit-based nonprofits supporting them in moving their missions forward through various marketing, development, design and revitalization projects
- Connecting with and forming meaningful relationships with the broader Challenge Detroit community as well as your cohort
- Access to cultural events, memberships to various organizations and more
- Career development including a $38,000 annual salary plus benefits typical of host company*
- A network of more than 200 alumni!
*If you already have a job, your current employer will determine your salary.
How to apply if you are seeking a job:
- When completing your Phase One application, simply select the “Standard” application type
How to apply if you already have a job:
- When completing your Phase One application, simply select the “Internal” application type
- Your employer must approve your application to Challenge Detroit and be willing and able to participate in the program as a host company
- Upon receiving your application, our staff will contact your employer to finalize engagement as a host company
- You WILL NOT be required to interview with other host companies, but you WILL be required to attend the two-day interview trip in Detroit in May
As a Fellow, you’ll:
- contribute innovative thinking and intellectual capital to philanthropic efforts in the city and region;
- commit one full year to the program (September 2020 to August 31, 2021);
- become an integral part of the Challenge Detroit community, as an active participant in initiatives, mentorship and programming;
- collaborate with other Challenge Detroit Fellows, alumni and the community at large;
- demonstrate professionalism, integrity, and leadership abilities;
- be willing to document experiences in a variety of formats including social media, video and blogs; and
- work closely with multi-disciplinary teams on various challenge projects.
The Application Process
Phase One: Basic Application
You will submit a basic application along with your resume. If selected, you will be invited to move on to Phase Two as a semi-finalist.
Phase Two: The Essay & Video
When you are invited to Phase Two, you will be asked to submit a response to an essay question and provide a 60-second video reflecting why you want to live, work, play, give and lead in Detroit. If selected, you will be invited to proceed to Phase Three.
Phase Three: The Interview Trip
When you are invited to Phase Three, you will join us for a two-day Interview Trip that will occur in the month of May in Detroit. At the Trip, you will interview with our host companies, engage with current and alumni Fellows, tour the city, and participate in an abbreviated challenge project experience. Following the Trip, the Challenge Detroit leadership and review team will work with the companies to determine final job placements. Attendance at the interview trip is mandatory.
Still want to know more? Click here to read our FAQs.
Diversity and inclusion are a cornerstone of Challenge Detroit. We believe that all persons are entitled to equal opportunity. We do not discriminate against qualified applicants because of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, breastfeeding or related medical condition, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, marital status, physical or mental disability, genetic characteristic, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by state or federal law. We strive to support a culture where people can be themselves and feel included while including others.