Are you ready to make an impact?
You’re here because you want to help move Detroit forward and grow your career. If you are seeking a year-long full-time, paid job that comes with a unique opportunity to make an impact, build community, grow as a leader, develop skills, connect with mentors and local leaders, we invite you to learn more and apply to be a Fellow!
The next round of applications will open in February 2023.
Click here to join our interest list to be notified when it launches.
WHY YOU SHOULD APPLY
As a Challenge Detroit Fellow, you will:
- develop valuable leadership, project management and team-building skills through a multi-faceted leadership development program;
- gain knowledge and experience in various areas of impact in an accelerated time frame;
- grow your career at your host company and learn about different sectors and industries;
- learn and leverage the art of design thinking and community development best practices;
- collaborate with multiple Detroit-based nonprofits on strategic, intellectually-based, community-focused projects to support them in moving their missions forward;
- acquire a better understanding of the city by learning about the history of Detroit, how it has impacted the region, and about various neighborhoods in the city;
- cultivate meaningful relationships with your cohort and the broader Challenge Detroit community;
- connect with mentors and gain access to local leaders who have an interest in your success;
- join the network of over 300 alumni Fellows who continue to engage and support the program as well as contribute in their communities; and
- receive a $43,000 annual salary when you apply for our Standard Track, plus variable benefits typical of your host company.
WHO WE ARE LOOKING FOR
We are looking for candidates from the City of Detroit, surrounding areas, the state of Michigan and beyond, who represent a diverse range of race/ethnicity, gender identity, orientation, thought, experience, educational backgrounds, perspective and ability. The most successful candidates are passionate about community, dedicated, proactive, hard-working, innovative, adaptable and have a growth mindset.
All applicants must:
- be able to read and communicate in written and spoken English fluently—all materials are in English and programs are conducted in English (candidates with proficiency in more than one language are welcome).
- be in the Metro-Detroit area and able to commute to the City of Detroit regularly for the duration of the program.
- be U.S. citizens OR be authorized to work in the United States for the duration of the program.*
- meet our full list of requirements which can be viewed by clicking here.
*Challenge Detroit is unable to assist with employment authorization, visa sponsorship or relocation.
OUR PROCESS & TIMELINE
- Online Application | Early Applications Due December 8, 2022
All Applications Due April 4, 2023, 9am (Eastern Time)
Complete a basic online application with short answer questions, and submit a one-page resume (plus a portfolio link if typical in your industry) and a 60-second application video by our deadline. Click here to view our application tips and guidelines.
- Application Review | Rolling
Challenge Detroit leadership, our host companies, and a community review team, will review each application and select candidates to invite to move forward.
- Finalist Notification | Rolling
Candidates who have been selected will be notified about 2-3 weeks prior to the VIE on a rolling basis.
- The Virtual Interview Experience (VIE) | June 7-8, 2023
Candidates who have been selected will join us for our Virtual Interview Experience (VIE) where they will interview with our host companies/potential employers and Challenge Detroit Leadership, hear from current and alumni Fellows, and learn more about the city and our program. Participation in the VIE is required for standard track candidates.
- Placements | Starting Mid June (Rolling)
Following the VIE, Challenge Detroit leadership will work with the host companies while also taking into consideration candidate feedback to determine final job placements. Challenge Detroit will notify candidates of their placement and acceptance into the program on a rolling basis.
- Fellowship Program | Starting September 2023
The program year will begin in September 2023 and finish at the end of August 2024.