When we first launched Challenge Detroit in 2012, the city was facing its largest population decline in history and heading towards bankruptcy. Despite these dynamics, more than 900 people applied for Challenge Detroit and 30 Fellows joined in the inaugural program year. Since our inaugural year:
- Close to 4,000 people have applied to our program.
- Over 60 companies have partnered with us to create over 175 jobs.
- 14 new ventures have launched by our alumni.
- Over 100 apartments and homes have been rented and purchased.
- Over 40 local nonprofits have been intellectually served through 200,000 project hours valued at $700,000.
- An additional 4,000 volunteer hours have been served above and beyond our community impact team projects.
- Over 1,000 blogs have been posted changing the narrative of Detroit.
- Close to 70,000 social media partners and connections have leveraged those stories.
- And over $6 million dollars in economic value has been brought to Detroit.
Beyond the direct impact we can count and see, Challenge Detroit has also been sought after for advice and best practice sharing in broader talent and community development dialogues in addition to helping other organizations who are launching and / or improving fellowship programs. The Challenge Detroit Directors have advised corporate organizations, government-initiated programs, student-led initiatives as well as university-supported programs meeting with over 10 organizations across the country from other cities such as Portland, OR; Grand Rapids, MI; Stockton, CA; Flint, MI; Ann Arbor, MI, New York City, NY, and West Virginia.